Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah
Topic: Expository Scripture: Exodus 13:17–13:22
The following study guide is to be used to discuss the Friday, November 30, 2018 sermon.
Introduction: In Exodus 13:17–22, we see God’s care and guidance for His people as He leads them out of Egypt and towards the Promised Land, protecting them from immediate warfare, fulfilling His promises to the patriarchs, and guiding them by His awesome presence.
1. READ Exodus 13:17–18. What do these verses tell us about the way that God led His people after bringing them out of Egypt?
2. Why did God lead the people through this longer route into the wilderness? What do we learn here about God’s leadership and His care for His people?
3. What do God’s actions here tell us about how He leads us in the Christian life? What should our response to trials be?
4. APPLICATION: READ James 1:2–4. What trials are you facing right now? How can you respond in faith and obedience? What are the ways that God is refining you through trials?
5. READ Exodus 13:19. Also READ Genesis 50:24–26. Why does Moses take Joseph’s bones with them when they leave Egypt? What is significant about this action?
6. READ Hebrews 11:22 and 11:13–16. What is significant about Joseph’s instructions concerning his bones? How does this point us to Christ?
7. APPLICATION: READ 1 Cor 15:12–19. Are you fixing your hope on the resurrection from the dead? What are some ways that you could grow in fixing your eyes on God’s promises and especially, His promise that we will rise again like Christ?
8. READ Exodus 13:20–22 (also see Genesis 15:17 and Exodus 3:2–5). What do these verses tell us about the LORD’s leadership of His people?
9. READ Matthew 28:20. What is significant about Jesus’ promise here?