God's Building Fund
Topic: Expository Scripture: Exodus 35:1–36:7
The following study guide is to be used to discuss the Friday, April 12, 2019 sermon.
Study Guide – Exodus 35:1-36:7
Introduction - There’s a lot of confusion around financial giving in the church. How much are we supposed to give? A tithe (10%)? Does giving bring God’s blessing? If we sow financial seeds does God promise to give us financial blessings in return? Or maybe churches even talk about giving at all? After all, people say sometimes that they don’t like church because churches are only after people’s money. But perhaps the most important thing to understand about financial giving is WHY we give.
1. What kind of heart attitude is God looking for when we give?
Application - What are some of the wrong reasons that people give money to the church, or the wrong attitudes that people have when they give? What is your attitude in giving?
2. For what purpose were the various contributions to be used? What was the purpose of the yarn, wood, metals, stones, etc.?
Gospel Connection: What is God’s tabernacle/temple in the New Covenant? What verses in the New Testament reveal this?
Application: How do our contributions to the church help build this new temple?
3. Where did these former slaves get all these precious materials?
Application: What is the source of our possessions? How should that affect the way we think about giving?
4. The Israelites’ contributions are “to the Lord”.
Application: How should this truth shape our own attitude in giving?
5. God also provided skilled workers to help build the tabernacle and train others.
Gospel Connection: How has Jesus continued to provide workers for the building of his tabernacle today?