Unity and Righteousness in Tough Times
Topic: Expository Scripture: 1 Peter 3:8–3:17
The following study guide is to be used to discuss the Friday, June 14, 2019 sermon.
READ 1 Peter 3:8
1. How is Peter calling the church to live? How is this related to the context and to Peter’s purpose in this letter?
2. What does it mean to live in unity of mind, sympathy, and brotherly love?
APPLICATION: In what ways can ECC grow in the kind of life together that Peter describes in 1 Peter 3:8? In what ways do you personally struggle and need to grow in these areas?
READ 1 Peter 3:9–12
3. How does Peter call us to respond when someone does evil to us or reviles us?
4. What is the basis for responding to evil in this way?
APPLICATION: Is there someone doing evil or reviling you right now? How are you responding? Spend some time in prayer together for those who are facing unjust suffering, that they would respond in righteousness, and also praying for their persecutors.
READ 1 Peter 3:13–17
5. What should be the reason for our suffering?
6. What opportunities does suffering for righteousness’ sake create?
APPLICATION: Spend some time in prayer for one another to make the most of the opportunities to share the gospel.