Work of the Word Back to all sermons
Date: November 16, 2018
Speaker: Pastor John Musyimi
Scripture: Psalm 19:1–19:14
The following study guide is to be used to discuss
the Friday, November 16, 2018 sermon.
Study Guide - Psalm 19
Introduction - Do you ever wish God would just speak to us? How do we hear the voice of God? It’s a question Christians wrestle with at various times, especially when they are facing difficult decisions or circumstances. The Bible tells is that we serve the living God who speaks. Psalm 19 celebrates, and contrasts, two ways in which God speaks to us today: his world and and his word.
READ Psalm 19
1. What can we know about God by observing the heavens (the sky), as well as by observing all of the natural world? (see also Acts 17:24-29 and Romans 1:18-20)
Application - How has creation helped you to better understand God?
2. What are things that we can’t know about God from creation?
3. In addition to the general revelation of creation, we also have the special revelation of God’s Word (Psalm 19:7-14). What is God’s Word like? How is it superior to creation?
Application - What sorts of things to Christians look to instead of God’s Word for discerning God’s will? Why are we tempted to look to these sources instead of looking to God’s Word.
4. What effects does the Word have on us?
Application - 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that through Scripture we are complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work. What implications do texts like Psalm19 and 2 Timothy 3:16-17 have for Christian life and church ministry?
5. What role does God’s Word play in our obedience and battle against sin? (Psalm 19:12-14)
Application - What role does the Bible play in your life? When do you read it? When do you meet with other Christians to study it? And do you read the Bible looking for it to sanctify and refine you?